top of page
  • Dr. Hicks

I have what I think is poison oak on my face, but now my eyes are swollen. What should I do?

You should see a doctor. If the rash is moving toward your eyes, they can swell shut. It is not only disfiguring, but can interfere with your vision. You may need a steroid in your bloodstream via pills or a shot. Creams are ineffective in this situation, and getting them in your eyes can be harmful. Urgent care facilities such as Yubadocs see poison oak year-round and can provide accurate information and useful treatments that are far more effective than anything you buy over the counter. If you show signs of infection or have swelling around your eyes, face or genitals, you should see a doctor right away. Untreated poison oak usually resolves on its own in 3 weeks, but healing is delayed by infection. Secondary infection is the most common complication and can happen where there is raw skin from scratching or broken blisters.


20 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page